Anyway, lets talk about Team China in WBC...
- March 8, 2017 - China 0, Cuba 6 - BOXSCORE
- March 9, 2017 - Australia 11, China 0 - BOXSCORE
- March 10, 2017 - China 1, Japan 7 - BOXSCORE
Despite having the strongest lineup in team history, Team China had the weakest team in the whole tournament and like everyone predicted, they got served. Not only did they lose all three games, they lost a spot in the next WBC in 2021. They need to win in the qualifying rounds in 2020 to get back in the main tournament.
I'm not going to dwell over it. This year's WBC was awesome and congratulations to AMERICA for winning the 4th edition! They didn't even have a parade for it?! Oh come on...
- China didn't get manhandled by Cuba and Japan. They got pummeled by Australia! Oh boy was I wrong about my predictions. Australia has a really strong team. They played a tight game with Cuba and almost advanced to the second round. Kudos to Australia!
- If you watched every game, Team China's infield was pretty slick. SS Joey Wong made a couple of great defensive plays and 2B Xiao Lei Du was also pretty nifty. Unfortunately, the outfielders had the most problem during the tournament. They misjudged and mishandled a lot of balls which ultimately cost the team.
- The only person that drove in a run for China was none other than Ray Chang.
- Wei Qiang Meng who is a catcher, pitched 4 innings against Japan and only gave up 2 unearned runs. You can check out his video HERE.
- Overall, I thought the tournament was entertaining, but with a lot of flaws. I am not a fan of the extra inning rules. That completely killed momentum for some of the games.
- And lastly, WBC is here to stay whether you're a fan or not. IT MATTERS! #TEAMWBC
Here are few clips of Itchy Xu playing in the WBC. I thought he did a pretty good job and is definitely a patient hitter:
Also, if you are intrigued about Gong Hai Cheng, the 18 year old from the MLB China development academy, he pitched 1/3 of an inning against Japan. His fastball was around 84-87 MPH. Here's a clip of him:
Here's a clip of Chris Park giving a conference about MLB development in China and partnering with LeSports:
Well...there you have it! What are your thoughts about WBC and what can be improved? There's still a big mountain to climb for China, but they will reach the top one day! Thanks for reading and have a great night!
Never Give Up - John Cena